Medical Insurance is required to be an international student in Saanich. You are welcome to purchase your own medical insurance in addition to the required Guard.Me or MSP coverage.
Returning students: The British Columbia Medical Service Plan (MSP) coverage is required for all graduation program students (10 months or more), provided the student has a valid Study Permit.
10-month students or less: Guard.Me coverage is required for the duration of your study period in Saanich.
What is MSP and Guard.Me?
BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)
- MSP is the mandatory public health insurance provided by Health Insurance BC for international students with a valid study permit.
- Graduation program students (10 months or more)
- Always present your MSP card when you visit a clinic or hospital
- The SISP office enroll's and maintains graduation program students MSP record as your group plan administrator. You receive MSP coverage after a 3 month waiting period at the beginning of your study period. Guard.Me coverage is provided over the 3 month waiting period.
- guard.me is private insurance
- Access the Saanich School Guard.Me website here: guard.me/saanich.
- If you have guard.me insurance coverage (10 month students or less) and go to a clinic or hospital, keep your receipts, follow the instructions and submit the online claim form.
- Visit guard.me for insurance plan details and frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- The SISP office enrolls you with guard.me before you arrive and provides you with a guard.me card during new student JumpStart/Orientation.
Speak with your homestay parents about taking you to a Walk-in Clinic or visit medimap to search for the closest Walk-in clinic on the Saanich Peninsula.